Who May Obtain Firearms In New Jersey
“No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not the subject of any disabilities as set forth in N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3, shall be denied a permit to purchase or a handgun or a firearm purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth.” No Permit to Purchase a Handgun or Firearms Purchaser Identification Card shall be issued:
- To any person who has been convicted of any crime in this State of the 1st to 4th degree, or equivalent thereof in any other state, that has not been expunged or sealed, or a disorderly persons offense involving an act of domestic violence.
- To any person who has been drug dependent or to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently a habitual drunkard.
- To any person who suffers from a physical defector disease which would make it unsafe for him to handle firearms, to any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic unless any of the foregoing person produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere or handicap him in the handling of firearms; to any person who knowingly falsifies any information on the application form for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun or Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- To any person under the age of 18 for firearm purchaser identification card or 21 for a for a handgun permit (except active law enforcement officers for purchase of a duty weapon).
- To any person where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare.
- To any person who is the subject of a restraining order issued pursuant to “Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991,” prohibiting the person from possessing a firearm.
- To any person who as a juvenile was adjudicated a delinquent for an offense which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a crime and the offense involved the unlawful use and or possession of a weapon, explosive or destructive device or is enumerated in subsection d. of N.J.S.A. 2C:43-7.2. 8. To any person whose firearm is seized pursuant to the “Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991”, and whose firearm has not been returned.